German Cars Love German PartsKurt Quambusch
Since 1919, ERNST Abgastecnoligie, German aftermarket exhaust manufacturers are appreciated the world over by technicians for quality and fit.
German car driving enthusiasts tell us “It’s the best or nothing.” ERNST are typically German in their fastidious approach to DPF manufacture and replacement procedures. Ernst‘s recommended steps before DPF replacement: Strictly observe the repair guides and instructions of the manufacturer. Before and after replacing the diesel particle filter, read the fault memory and document fault reports. If specified test steps are not followed and occurring faults not eliminated, the newly installed DPF may become clogged after 50 – 100 km, and no longer capable of regeneration. DPFs are not suitable for vehicles with performance upgrades (e.g. chiptuning).
Steps To Be Followed:
- Retrieve and record ash content (often displayed in %)
- Retrieve and record soot content (often displayed in mg)
- Check function of differential pressure sensor (< 50 mbar is usually OK during idle)
- Check mass air flow sensor
- Check EGR valve
- Check vacuum lines for leaks and check condition of the lines to the differential pressure sensor, (Including using a vacuum pump if necessary)
- Check temperature sensor upstream and downstream of DPF, as well as turbocharger
- Examine upstream oxidation catalytic converter
- Check glow plugs and control module (particularly BMWs)
- Check engine coolant thermostat and, if necessary, EGR thermostat
- Check injection nozzles
- Check charge air hose pressure (overpressure test)
- Check boost pressure sensor Actuator test, intake pipe flap (BMW swirl flaps)
- Check intake/intercooler pipes and hoses for leaks – intake manifold for residues
- Where fitted check Eolys DPF additive system for correct function, check fill level
Download the Ernst replacement DPF checklist at www.ernst-hagen.de/fileadmin/user_upload/ernst-hagen.de/documents/Dieselpartikelfilter/DPF_ Checkliste_092017_EN.pdf
DPF Australia is your ERNST Distributor; delivering reasonably priced, exceptional quality and service, technical and after sales assistance. No one knows more about DPFs.